Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Diary of a Dairy Matron

Being the (mostly) true ongoing account of the everyday mornings of the (other) Dairy Queen of Greenville, MI
7:00 a.m. woke up this morning wondering if I should a.) buy myself a chartreuse bikini and fly to tahiti or b.) milk the cow. Settled on b.) milk the cow.









7:10 a.m. Greet Ellie, pour her a little grain, and wash down her 4 quarters. Begin millking.











7:15 a.m. I lean into Ellie's massive glossy flank, and amid bird song I make plans for fresh butter and mutter the first stanza of Robert Service's "A Rolling Stone":


There's sunshine in the heart of me,

my blood sings in the breeze;
the mountains are a part of me,
I'm fellow to the trees.


My golden youth I'm squandering,

Sun-libertine am I;

A-wandering, a-wandering,
Until the day I die.


7:30 a.m. It's back to the house to strain, label, and cool the milk in canning jars. I pause to sign a few autographs: "With all MOOOO love, The Dairy Matron"








8:30 a.m. After breakfast I skim that gorgeous cream off the top of Ellie's milk. It's butter making time! We shake it up in a canning jar...I pass it along to all the boys...if the butter's long in the churning Elijah simply takes to the trampoline. That usually does the trick.




9:00 a.m. Field phone calls from Knopff regarding "Living the Dairy Matron Dream" book deal while making Queso Fresco. Whip up a Blueberry Slab pie and homemade gelato (with 6 Cups of Ellie's cream, 3 Cups whole milk and 23 egg yolk in the triple batch!)

No comments:

Post a Comment